Saturday, April 5, 2008

what's inside?

4/5/08: 20 min swim, 20:35 run - 2.25 miles/9:08 pace
4/3/08: 30 minutes basketball
4/1/08: 2 miles/20:35

Took the week easy after the half-marathon last weekend. Mixed it up with some basketball at the gym and the then got into the pool for the first time in about 2 years. I am not a good swimmer. I barely know how to swim..so when i do get in, I am definitely going beyond my comfort zones. But, isn't that what brings meaning to our lives...going beyond what is comfortable so that we can grow? If we always stick to the same things, how we will ever learn more about ourselves? You can apply this to anything, of course. Today just happened to be swimming. I was uncomfortable. I even waited for an open lane cause i didn't want to share with someone else. I am self-conscious in the pool. I feel like I stand out as someone who isn't very skilled(i realize of course that no one is probably paying any attention to me)
The swimming itself was hard. I felt like i labored for 20 minutes. I guess that i shouldn't expect anything different since I have not swam for 2 years, at least. I went in today to do something different and mix it up a bit. I will go back and I will still feel uncomfortable...but that's ok. My life isn't about feeling good all the time. I need the experience of that which is uncomfortable. It allows me reflection and contemplation...crucial things for living my life.

No comments: