Wednesday, February 28, 2007

catching up

"It is not gymnastics or ice skating you know."
-Emil Zatopek

Emil was a very famous czech runner. He won three gold medals at the 1952 Helsinki Olympics in 5,000, 10,000 and marathon setting Olympic records in all three distances. He was also known by his very particular facial expressions that were pained and not very pleasant to look at....

I'm sure my face has looked a lot like his these past days of running. As it should. IT IS NOT GYMNASTICS or ICE SKATING! I completely agree. My face is pained and even, contorted at times....struggling to get up a hill or simply to make the last .5 mile of a 12 mile run. It hurts. it is painful. There is nothing pleasant about it....which is why i have such a love of it.

Last Weekend Runs:
Sat: 9 miles, strong, hilly
Sun: 12.3 miles, slow, steady, hilly

I took the day off from work today...a "vacation" day. Wanna know one of the major reasons i took the day off: so i could be sure I got in an 8 miler. This speaks to the true GEEK that I am. If there is anyone else out there like me, you know who you are.

Now, I will go and reward myself with a long overdue massage!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You know, it doesn't surprise me one bit that you took the day off to get in a run. It just shows your focus, commitment and passion. Those are three fantastic qualities.

I hope that you enjoyed your massage. :)