Monday, February 19, 2007

Unfavorable Conditions

How I hope this will be true:

"There is a great advantage in training under unfavorable conditions. It is better to train under bad conditions, for the difference is then a tremendous relief in a race."
-Emil Zatopek


Sunday's run: temperature, 28 degrees w/ some wind
Goal: 20 miles

Actual: 14.8 miles

Again, i ran part of the marathon course. While i plodded along, listening to ipod shuffled songs, i thought to myself early on, "hey, i'm just glad i made it out the door."

Then, at the first hour mark, "hey, one hour down only 2 to go"

Then, at one hour, 10 minute mark, "ok. just focus on getting to 1:30, then you are halfway done"

By 1:20, "ok. let's just focus on the next 10 minutes, 10 minutes..."

That seemed to work until about 2:20. My legs were tired and the left hamstring was soooo tight. AAUGGGHHHHH

I rounded a corner, did about 3 minutes flat and the last 2 minutes all uphill. Finished at 2:33. Not happy.

it was just fucking grueling out there on sunday. cold, wind in my face in some areas and, at times, i could not feel my jaw.

No, i am not happy with this result. My only solace is that i have another day....another day....

2 comments:

storm indigo said...

AF, keep plugging away. It will pay off. I admire you.

I haven't run in years. I used to love it, but I couldn't run around the block now without getting winded.

The cold air can be brutal. And it is true that training in the bad conditions help you in the long run.

Cheering you on,
Storm ;)

afuntanilla said...

s-thx for your very sweet comments!!