Saturday, April 14, 2007

Trail Run/Hike

I've been aching to get away from the city, so I FINALLY did this weekend. Just 2 hours away from the hustle & bustle of Atlanta and I totally feel like I am States away!!!

Had no idea where to go for a run, so i perused some of the material in my quaint, cozy cabin. Though I found no specific running trails, i found a bunch of info on hiking/mountain biking trails. After having coffee and writing a partial letter to a friend, i put my gear on and headed for the trail. The area was actually this: ASKA

As I neared one of the trailheads, i had come upon an adventure race in progress. So, rather than being out in the middle of this place solo, i was surrounded by lots of folks on their mountain bikes. I actually was thankful because often times being out in the woods scares me! Maybe because i grew up in the city. I mean, i would rather go running through the worst parts of Atlanta, GA or Oakland, CA than go out in the woods alone. I know, it's a bit weird. Anyways.

I had to park my car about 1 mile from trailhead and go from there. So, i took off running a mile uphill on a forest road. Then, the real trail began; a very hilly technical trail. It felt so awesome to finally be back on a trail. To smell the cleaner air, to listen to the sounds of nothing, to see so much of nature all around me was invigorating and exhilirating. Not to mention the andrenaline was pumping because somewhere in the back of my mind i think there is some pyscho-killer just waiting out there....

The trail was very difficult and it was more of a trail run/hike than a true run. i definitely had to hike some of it if i wanted to last a bit. and this was fine by me because really i just wanted to be out there. also, i didn't have much water at all, so i knew i had to ration accordingly. At one point, i turned around and headed in another direction and felt like i was flying down the trail...it was so much fun to go fast and it made me realize even more how steep the uphill direction was. Going downhill on trail is fun and exciting because you really have to watch your footing. My arms were flailing about at one point...i felt like a little kid. SO MUCH FUN!!!

After a bit, i got back to where i parked and saw more of the adventure racers coming and going. They looked tired, but determined. I cheered some of them on.

All in all, i was out there on the trails for 1 hour, 15 minutes. I hope to get out again tomorrow before heading back into the bright lights, big city.

TRAIN HARD, TRAIN SMART

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It looks like a lovely place, AF! Good for you for getting away. Enjoy yourself!

Joe said...

You're brave. I don't mind urban trails but I'm afraid of back woods trails where you actually have to hike sometimes and avoid tree roots.