Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sunday 10 Miles: Trail

After a neat & short little race on Saturday, my buddy SL and I went out to Kennesaw Battlefield to do some battling of our own.

(http://www.nps.gov/kemo/)

It looked pretty dreary out when we left my house just after 8am. Not cold, but grey skies that looked like rain was a comin'.

No worries from us. We both had new trail shoes to tear up and we were raring to go! We we took our first steps, the rain came down in small drops. For a good 10-15 minutes somewhere between miles 4-5, it began to absolutely pour down on us!! I mean POUR, like buckets were being poured on our heads. It was awesome!! The trail became very wet and muddy and soon our nice new shoes were well worn in. A few times, we almost fell from the uneven and tricky terrain. We had 2 short walk breaks and basically just used that time to talk about what a great day it was. SL was all fired up saying she couldn't believe trail running could be so much fun. AHH! Now, maybe I have a partner??

From miles 6-9, I deliberately accelerated a few times -- I love to feel myself go a bit faster on the trails…it feels so free, as if I am running free in the wild. How wonderful it was to get out and away from sidewalks, streetlights, treadmills, people, & cars!!!

We finished 10 miles which was more than I thought we would do. We were happily and sufficiently dirty when all was said and done!

We still gotta play, right?

2 comments:

JustRun said...

I really, really want to run on a trail now!

Josh said...

That sounds like so much fun. I haven't done a run like that in ages!