Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Pre-Race Notes

The last time I ran Peachtree was in 2004. A tough race that day. A tough year that year. I skipped 2005 race just because. I decided I would be a spectator that year and made my way to the finish line just as the elite were coming through. WOW. How fast there their legs were turning over. Amazing. It was great fun spectating, but I truly felt i was missing out on something.

2006 rolled around and I got my application in on time and everything, but I did not get in. No number! So, I went out of town to Denver.

2007, I got my stuff in and about a month ago, the wonderfully large envelope from The Atlanta Track Club came in the mail. YIPPEE. I was in!! If you submit a previous 10k time of 55:00 or better from a legitimate race, you can turn documentation in to get seeded near the front. I was able to do this and got placed in time group 1b. Here is the breakdown of the groups.

Seeded/Subseeded
Time Group 1a
Time Group 1b -- me. yeah!!
Everyone else

The first year I ran peachtree, I was number 55,???. When you are that far back, the winner is done before you even cross start line. That is how many people are out!!!

Tomorrow, I will be # 16637.

Weather looks to be cool. Should be about 70 degrees by race start 7:30am EST. about 75% humidity. It has been very overcast today and I would not mind at all that continuing until late tomorrow.

What's neat is that so many people in my office know I am a runner. Even people I never speak with. So, when a race like this comes along, people walk by and ask if I am running. It's neat. I like that. I think there are only about 3 other folks from the office running tomorrow. I wish them a great and fun race.

I am looking forward to it. The excitement is brewing. I am looking forward to rising early, in the darkness, making coffee and eating a bar and sitting quietly with my patio door open. I will listen to the quiet morning and watch the day awaken.

And then soon enough, it will be race time. game time. party time.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Have a great run, AF! I can't wait to hear all about it. :)