Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saturday ritual

“Happiness is different from pleasure. Happiness has something to do with struggling and enduring and accomplishing.”

-George Sheehan


The weekend prior to any 4th of july peachtree race is one in which runners get out on Peachtree Road and practice the course.
This humid morning, my pal S. & I headed out and did our part as well. We parked one vehicle near the end and the other at my office building across from the start.

The race organizers have already begun the logistical preparations even though race day is still 5 days away. Lenox Mall area has tons of port-a-potties already there; makeshift fences have already been put up in place around the starting line which extends about 1/2 mile or so. We are getting ready...gettin' ready!! YEAH!!

S. & I headed out and passed many folks running in opposite direction, which is typical. I noticed right away how heavy my legs felt. I wasn't quite awake yet..having only woken an hour prior to running time. I was pooped this morning and would have loved to have slept in more, but I decided to forgo sleep for cooler temps! It was 80 degrees when we began at 8am and very humid.

I figured there were some folks doing some marathon training and as we passed each other ... runners and walkers, i said "good morning" and cheered them on. I noticed the whole scene gave me a boost! There were volunteers out from Atlanta Track Club giving out water and at the main big hill of the course(I think it might be called CARDIAC HILL, there were volunteers handing out little towels that had Piedmont Hospital logos on them. Consequently, Piedmont Hospital is at top of hill, so, you know if you are feeling ill effects on race day, you can just go on in....

I gathered steam as we got up and over the hill and was able to cruise to just past the mile 5 marker feeling o.k. I decided to stop there and save a bit. I will probably get in a run tomorrow...maybe even some of the course again...just for the camaraderie alone!!

5.1 miles
48:19

5 comments:

Josh said...

It's great to get out there and see the course. You'll be happy you did it. My wife and I just happened to make a last minute trip to Atlanta last year for the 4th. We didn't run the race, but did get to watch some of it. It looks like a great one.
I'm enjoying reading your blog - have a great race on Wednesday!

JustRun said...

How cool!

I hope I can be there next year!

afuntanilla said...

josh - thx for visiting and commenting!! it's an incredible race to experience as both participant and spectator

justrungirl -- cool!! just mark your calendar for when application comes out. mid march!!

miss petite america said...

nothing boosts my spirits more than greeting another runner! the snobby ones that just woosh by...they suck.

Joe said...

Good luck in the race.