Monday, June 25, 2007

True Impact

Traveled 6 hours south by car Friday to Florida panhandle. My first ever trip to FL and the white sand beaches. One of the things i eagerly looked forward to was running in the flatlands and smelling the water.
After 6+ hours in the car, I was more than ready to hit the road Saturday morning. I put on my shorts and t-shirt and suddenly realized....I forgot MY SHOES!! I couldn’t believe it!!! I think what happened was I left them in my personal vehicle when I made the transfer to the rental car. Sheesh!! Oh well, what to do? Either not run or go barefoot. So, I went barefoot. I ran a mile on the beach which proved to be very difficult because the tide was still high and backed up right to the thick sand. This left little room to run and what little there was ended up at an slant which is not too good for the hips, thighs, etc... so I went 1/2 mile east, turned around and went 1/2 mile west. Then, i said, “screw it” and went to the street and hit the black pavement. I ran for 2.43 miles on the street...i had to stop when the bottoms of my big toes were becoming raw. ouch. I also developed a small cut on bottom of my right toe. So, now I have 2 raw bottoms on my big toes and am wondering if i should just buy some cheap pair of shoes or forgo the rest of the running until i get home. we’ll see.

but, boy! running on the flatlands is awesome!!

_____________________________________________


I CAVED. I found a new Target in town and hunted for some shoes. I found what looked and proved to be a decent pair of Champion shoes for 30 bucks. Good enough.
After lunch, laying on the beach and dipping a bit, I went out for another 2 miler at 4pm. 90 degrees. Ouch.
The feet also started to hurt from the rawness. double ouch.
Oh well...All worth it

Total run both sessions = 1+2.43+2 = 5.43

___________________________________________

Got up late on Sunday and headed out about 9am. 86 degrees. VERY humid. But the streets were quiet and the Gulf was a spectacular site.

3.5 miles

At least I had the Champions on this morning!

3 comments:

Joe said...

You ran on pavement with bare feet? As Rocky once said to Paulie, "Don't get mentally irregular!" Hehe.

afuntanilla said...

yeah -- it wasn't quite the smartest thing, but hey
"cho gotta do what cho gotta do, you know?"

miss petite america said...

holy crap! running on the beach WITH shoes is hard enough for me!

you're hard core!