Thursday, June 7, 2007

In ROCKY'S Footsteps...

One of the main draws to Philadelphia has always been to actually run the Rocky steps as featured in the first ROCKY film. If you have been following this blog or my other one, TRIPPEDBYIT.BLOGSPOT.COM, you will be more than familiar with my love of ROCKY and the tunes that accompany the film.

What has it been about?

Rocky came out in 1976, when I was six years old. I can tell you at that time, life sure wasn't too grand! I have always related to and rooted for the underdogs. Maybe it even started with ROCKY. How many times has that guy been called "a bum". His story was so amazing to me...coming from nothing and just working hard, fighting the odds, and rising above. He epitomized all that I believed in. He was my hero. He was someone I felt like I could look up to cause there sure as hell wasn't anyone around in real life who I could have these feelings about. So, I latched on. What a ride! And of course, over the years, it has been not about his character, but the idea of ROCKY, just like the idea of Santa Claus, maybe.

I could sit and watch the Rocky movies all weekend long and have a blast. I'm sure I'd have to go run at the end of each one though cause I'd probably be so damn inspired.

So. Back to the MAIN point of the story. Last Sunday, before leaving Philly, I had some time to find the steps. My hotel contact told me it was 1.5 miles and gave me directions. It was very easy to find. Just run north a few blocks, turn left and I then I ran right into the STEPS to the Art Museum. On my way there, I had my Ipod and the closer I became, I clicked the wheel to the ROCKY theme song! Man, what a rush it was. I must have picked up my pace a lot because my adrenaline had shot through the roof. My legs had previously been so tired from the race on Saturday, but hearing the music and seeing the steps made me forget any pain. With a smile on my face, I plowed up the steps, skipping one at a time and got to the top. You better believe I sure did give a holler and raised my arms, in triumph, in the spirit of ROCKY. I was grinning like a child. I had the enthusiasm and elation of a kid. Man, it was FUN.

(ok. so i ran the steps a FEW times)...but the coolest part was there were many other people doing the same thing. I saw many older couples hoofing it up the steps...men in their long trousers and women with their handbags, all the while smiling.

There just might be a little bit of ROCKY in all of us.

4 comments:

r.d. said...

Yo afunt, just how many times did you run those steps?

Joe said...

Great story, Angie.

I share your admiration for the Rocky Movies (except Rocky V...bleh) and the idea of Rocky. I never thought of Rocky being like Santa Claus but now that you mention it, I agree.

Maybe some day I'll run up those stairs too. I don't understate this when I say that it would be one of the greatest moments of my life.

BTW, did you see Rocky Balboa? It was surprisingly good...really good.

afuntanilla said...

r.d. >> 3x. i would have done more, but i was already running late for train ride to airport!!

joe -- i totally get it about you saying it would be one the greatest moments of your life.
and yes, Rocky Balboa was good! except...sly is looking very bad...i hear he had been taking Human Growth Hormone.

Chad said...

I just saw Rocky Balboa on an airplane last week and was very "pumped" having watched the original many years ago! I have to say though, I only really loved the first movie, Rocky III was fun, and this last one was nice.

Great post!