Thursday, June 28, 2007

Peachtree #4

After running Peachtree Road Race as a resident of GA in 2000 & 2001, I had to fly into town again as a visitor in 2003 for my 4th go at this race.

Below is an excerpt from my jounal entry on June 29, 2003. I was in San Francisco at Peets Coffee.

“driving here, i thought about race day morning on Friday, the 4th. I will rise early, have coffee and a bit of breakfast. It will be an early rising on another race day of my life. I don’t even know how to put into words what that means to me...the early rising, the preparation, the morning reflection, the anticipation of what lies ahead. I’m guessing it will take me between 54-57 minutes, but the experience, of course, goes well beyond those minutes. The preparation began long ago and this will be my 4th Peachtree.”

I flew into town on July 2nd and was able to stay with friends i knew. It was my first trip back to Atlanta since i had moved away. I’ll never forget getting into town in the wee hours of my red-eye flight and picking up my rental car. The darkness surrounded me and as I drove into the city, I saw all the downtown buildings greet me. Soon, the dawn would come...

Here is another excerpt from race day morning, July 4th 2003

“Peachtree Morning! I’m awake and ready. I’m having a perfect morning after a very hot sleep - interrupted by this very hot weather. I sit in the loft, having a fabulous cup of coffee, listening to great music - in the morning darkness that sits outside..that rests outside...that will soon slowly awaken. So, here I am on the morning of another Peachtree, awaiting another challenge of this life and today, it is this course that i cannot stay away from. This course that challenges me, begs me to keep trying, to give my all ... through the travel, the heat, the humidity. “C’MON” it says, “GIVE IT. GIVE IT ALL. Don’t leave anything today. Walk away exhausted, spent, dripping in sweat, blood, effort.”

Today - again - another chance to be my own Hero

Thank you God for another opportunity.

Here I go -----

#4 Peachtree Finish Time = 54:09

more to follow...

No comments: