Tuesday, November 20, 2007

JFK 50 Mile report: part 1




It all starts with what you bring to a race. Here are a couple of pictures taken by Trinity (T2) the night before we left for Maryland. All my gels, bars, and clothing. Shoes: for trail portion: ADIDAS Response Trail and for Non-Trail portion: ASICS 2120



T2 and I left our hotel in the saturday morning darkness so we could arrive at Boonsboro High School Gymnasium by 6:20am for a pre-race meeting. We arrived and went into the gym. I was so freaking happy to be there, I can't even tell you. There I was, surrounded by about 1400 other really crazy people. Everyone was pretty bundled up as it was below 30 degrees outside. People were sitting, standing, stretching...and then the race director greeted us and gave us some info and details about the course. I loved the quiet, the seriousness of the crowd. Not to belittle any other distance, but hey, this wasn't some 5k or 10k crowd out there. I looked around and just felt happy. Happy to finally get to race day. I had been very anxious the past 2 days and it was great to finally get to the big event and go!!

We exited the gym and had to walk .6 of a mile to starting line. Here is a photo of me: all smiles.

2 comments:

Trinity2 said...

I was so entranced by all the cool shoes that I barely remember what that meeting was about.

Scott McMurtrey said...

it was a cold morning. i wish i could have made it downtown in time to take photos.