Sunday, November 4, 2007

Time: 3:45
Distance: 21:50 miles - all over the city!

When I began the run, my thoughts were heavy with the news of Ryan Shay, who died yesterday while pursuing his Olympic Dream. The news shook me up much more than I would think it would. People die every day. People I don't know die all the time. Why the heaviness with this? I'm still not sure, but I guess it is just because of the enormity of the event this young man was participating in....the U.S. Men's Olympic Trials. Unbelievable. Apparently, he had a heart condition...that decided to take him from earth on the day he was going to burn through the streets of NY toward a dream.
As I made my way from my house and into the early miles through the PONCE DE LEON corridor, I thought of him and his family and just how enormously shocked and saddened they must be....
My thoughts started to shift as I passed through the OAKHURST & KIRKWOOD nieghborhoods; the mid 50's temperature felt perfect and I was focused. I sucked down a power gel and soon made my way back to my house for a pit stop to re-fuel on water, grab a bit of gatorade & change shirts. It was my own little aid station at mile 9. I ditched my iPod & headed back out through VIRGINIA-HIGHLANDS, a bit of MIDTOWN and into DOWNTOWN. Passed though GA STATE campus, CNN CENTER. There were lots of folks out around there cause of the FALCON-49ER game about to start. Ingested a GU, some RED LICORICE along through rest of downtown & by GA TECH campus. About this time, my left outer upper thigh area started hurting. This typically happens on long runs that are not on a trail. At this point, I could not wait to get my butt over to PIEDMONT PARK and do a few laps around a "track" that is all crushed rock. After 1-2 miles at the park, I went in the direction of my house. I was between mile 20-21, when I saw a car gently honk and someone wave at me from inside. It was a colleague from work who I really dig. He is a cyclist, mostly, and has done several 100 mile rides for juvenile diabetes. (I will definitely hope to train with him when I go for my goal of a 100 mile ride sometime next year.)
As I was zig-zagging my way though my hilly neighborhood, I decided to call it at 21 and 1/2 miles.
Overall, a very solid run and I'm pleased with it. However, I do wish i had one more weekend to go longer.

This afternoon, I was able to watch some coverage of the NYC Marathon and watch PAULA RADCLIFFE!! She is amazing. She pulled away in the last 1/2 mile or so and finished so freaking strong. It was inspiring and it made my eyes tear....to see an athlete, a female athlete, pushing and being so determined....how amazing it must be to be the front runner, especially at the NYC Marathon. She has never come in 2nd in ANY MARATHON SHE HAS RUN. UNBELIEVABLE.

I really noticed today how running for hours is so very calming to me. I feel like my head is so busy much of the time and being out there with myself for a long time brings some peace and quiet.

Cheers to all. Be well, friends

No comments: