Thursday, November 15, 2007

Last Post before JFK 50 Miler

"Seeing a great performance, whether by a human, or another animal, still inspires me to no end. I'm moved by others' dreams and by their devotion and courage in the pursuit of excellence. I get choked up when I see a kid, or anyone else, fighting hopeless odds - someone who goes out there to run the lonely roads with a dream in the heart, a gleam in the eye, and a goal in mind. I admire those who have the courage to step up to the line of a great race to run their heart out for a dream. "

-Bernd Heinrich in "Why We Run - A Natural History

There are so many things I could comment on or reflect on, but at this point, I'm only reminded of words written by the late George Sheehan. Some of you may have seen these words written before...but they are the words that have sunk into my skull and my soul...

"the long distance race is a struggle that results in self-discovery. it is an adventure into the limits of the self, representing for runners what has been called the moral equivalent of war - a theater for heroism, where the runner can do deeds of daring and greatness.....an opportunity to be your own hero."

CHEERS!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Have a great race! I'll email you to check in through the weekend. :)

afuntanilla said...

thx, kelly! here we go...