Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Final thoughts and a bit more...

Trinity, BP & I went to Outback Steakouse for dinner. As you can imagined, I was FAMISHED. We are were...especially after waiting about 75 minutes for a table. Sheesh. But, when the food came, man was it ever good!! It was about the best meal i have ever had. We soon returned to our hotel rooms and as I lay in bed, I had numerous thoughts of the day and what I could do differently next time. My mind automatically went to “how can I improve?” “what can i do better?” Even though i was and still am disappointment, I did not wallow in any of that...i was already looking ahead. And I now know I can finish the 50 mile race. I’ve seen it. I’ve been there. I have the experience. I just need to tweak a few things in my training and I know I will be set.
Sure, I am proud of what I was able to accomplish on November 17th. But, I am far from satisfied. I will be back on that trail or some other 50 miler. The best is yet to come.
I gotta give more shout outs to trinity and bp. They were rock supporters and crew. I am a very self-sufficient and independent woman, however, I cannot imagine doing a race like this without some support. Seeing them at the aid stations helped get me as far as I did. THANKS!!!!!

We ate at BWI airport prior to take-off back to Atlanta. I had fish and chips & i believe that was the culprit to some food poisoning I experienced later that night when I returned home and extended the next 2 days. ICK! NOT FUN!
My quads were so extremely sore and I was barely able to make it to the bathroom so I could vomit. UUGGHH. Anyways, that knocked me out for 2-3 days. It was even worse because I couldn’t stretch or move my body. I couldn’t try to work out any soreness because I was sleeping so much. It was not pleasant.

Ok. Now on to better things. I recovered and Trinity, BP, and I hopped on our planned flight to Vegas over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We spent 3 nights and 3.5 days in the desert city. It was a fun-filled trip...in fact, the most fun I have ever had in Vegas and I didn’t even win! We gambled a lot, laughed a lot, ate and just took it all in. It was so needed for me. A great break from work and a major “treat” after the race. I found myself just dancing at random times and being silly and goofy and I needed it. My oh-so-serious self took a break!!

I’m still not feeling 100% physically and that was evidenced by last night. I went to the gym and ran a measely 2+ miles on treadmill. I could feel myself laboring even for that short mileage. This was my first time running since the race (except for the 1 mile I ran to my hotel in Vegas because I didn’t want to take a taxi)

My promotion at worked has now kicked in so my work days will be longer. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to making time for some workouts, some cross-training and some longer runs on the weekends. Maybe even take a class or 2 at the gym.

What’s next, friends? What’s next?

Cheers!

3 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

your desire to keep going past 34 is what will help you get to 50 next time. your descriptions of the towpath scenery are right on. many people talked about how "boring" that section was but i couldn't get over how beautiful and calm it was. what's next? sounds like your itchin' for another shot at a 50 real soon. ;)

Trinity2 said...

Yep - I agree with Scott - just driving along the road and seeing you all run on that path along the river looked beautiful!
Arn't you glad you let me talk you into Vegas? ;-)

afuntanilla said...

scott-yep, i'm itichin' friend.

t2-yep - totally glad you hounded me about vegas! :)