Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Long and Winding Road...

Time: 1:56
Distance: 10 miles, Trails

Details: 10 miles of tough trails at Kennesaw Battlefield. Chocolate Chip CLIFBAR prior, 1/2 banana during.

Reflections: cool temps in the morning, but some humidity. felt good at starts, but as soon as i started hitting the ascents, i knew I was in for a tough one. My legs felt void of much energy/power on the ascents and felt like I was laboring hard even though i was going slow. Took many quick walk breaks, but i had to not care...what mattered is that i was out there and i stayed out there! It's always easy to quit. It's always easy to turn around and go back. Not today. I probably felt the best miles 5-7...not sure why...maybe my body was just finally awakening...maybe i'm not 100% back to normal.

2 guys who looked they could be from Kenya flew by me as i was headed back to the finish. man, they were fast...

Last weekend, after sunday's run, i was watching football and during commercial i flipped channels and found live coverage of TEMPE ARIZONA IRONMAN TRIATHALON. I was immediately glued to the TV. It was so inspiring watching these athletes do their thing. A woman who had been ahead on the run the ENTIRE time actually had to stop with about 1 mile to go...looked like she was suffering from cramps or something....and then she was passed by another woman who had surged on the run. The woman who had to stop ended up coming in 2nd on the women's side. How amazing is that...to have a lead and get passed so late!! Listening and watching her be interviewed was neat. She was such a professional. Disappointed, of course, but completely gracious.

Ahhhh.....COMPETITION!! I love it.

2 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

nice run! i usually start to feel good after a couple/few miles too. my body definitely needs some time to loosen up.

we got rid of the tv a couple years ago and while i don't miss most of the stuff on nowadays, i do miss my sports...

Josh said...

I watched that coverage as well. It was a great race on the women's side - poor Joanna Zeiger. But how great did Heather Gollnick look on that run? She made it look easy!