Saturday, September 29, 2007

Time: 2 hours, 20 min
Distance: 11.66 miles

I really wanted to run somewhere different today so yesterday, a colleague mentioned the trails at Stone Mountain I didn't even KNOW they had trails. I had only been there once and ran a 5 mile loop on a paved road. Well, little did i know!

I had coffee and woke up some and headed out. I stopped at BELLY and got my usual: Rosemary bagel w/ egg & cheese. This place is about 3 blokcks from my house and I usually go AFTER a run, but today, i wanted to get my calories in my system before hitting the trail. I woofed it down in the car and soon was at the park and ready to roll run! There are 3 trails and I was on the RED trail. None of the trails have much elevation change, but the red trail was longest. Trail was very narrow and at many parts, HEAVILY rooted and then a few parts with boulders. I rolled my left ankle 3 times, but I think it is actually fine. (i iced when i got home & will continue). The best part was that many parts of the trail were basically alongside a couple of the lakes there. i DIDN'T even KNOW there were lakes at Stone Mountain! Man, where have i been?? It was awesome to be near water, of course. Added bonus was the morning was absolutely beautiful; cool and clear and every so often, a gentle beeze would cross my face. AHHHH. YUM.

Some parts of trail are not well marked and i got lost for a bit. I was actually on part of the STONE of STONE Mountain. Not fun. Walking and running at a severe angle. Not fun. I crossed over some train tracks and was trying to get down onto the trail again and I slipped and FELL! (does this make me an ULTRARUNNER now?) I slipped on a bunch of pine needles and fell on my butt and the right side of my back, just below my shoulder blade, hit a flat rock. Lucky me, seriously..it could have been jagged or something. I heard myself make a sound, though now I don't know what it was. It was actually kinda cool to fall, ya know. We don't fall too much as adults....I even cut my pinky finger somehow on the fall. A nice little cut that caused me to suck the blood for a while. COOL! I almost fell a few other times when my feet would hit a stump or root or something and I caught my balance before flying and falling on my face. Needless to say, I learned this trail was one where I seriously had to pay attention. It does get mentally tiring after a while though. I finished the last mile on a paved portion and felt good afterwards.

I'm having dinner tonight at ECCO A cool place with excellent food.

Cheers and TRAIN HARD and Enjoy! THIS IS LIFE!

1 comment:

Scott McMurtrey said...

if falling made an ultrarunner then i'd be world class. :)

i saw a laser show at stone mountain a few years back. neat place.

looks like you had a great weekend of running!