Sunday, August 26, 2007

Saturday

Time: 1:26:39
Distance: 7 miles

Details: 74 degrees, 90% humidity. Chocolate Powerbar prior, Strawberry GU during.

Reflections: really wanted to get out onto the trails this weekend so this morning i went to Sweetwater Creek Park. Only about 25 drive from my house. Let me preface this by saying I would like to go the trails more, but I have been a little freaked out to go by myself. Last year or so, there was news of a few women being attacked at different locations, so that really spooked me. This is the first time i have been to a trail alone in over a year. On the ride there, i could feel my anxiety rising; it’s very interesting...i feel much safer in “the worst part of town” type neighborhoods than i do out in the middle of the woods. Maybe it’s because at least i can see on the streets and i can also yell or scream for help and most likely someone will be nearby. But, out in the woods, what are the chances someone will hear you if you are in danger or something of that nature? Anyways. If any guys are reading this, my question to you is this: “do you ever feel afraid while running?”

If your answer is no, i say i’m jealous of you. I don’t spook easy of things, but yeah, running in the woods alone is something that does get to me from time to time.

OK. now on to the run!! My plan was to run for an hour and a half. Yeah, that WAS the plan. I have only been on these trails 2x before and i chose to go into an area I had not been before. It was the YELLOW loop. I was feeling pretty yellow by the time i finished that trail; BRUTAL. After the first 8 minutes, there was a long and steady uphill. Forget about it. In this weather, I walked up fast. As steep and brutal the ascent was, the descent was quad punishing! I was huffing, puffing, dripping and not having much fun.
Soon, i was onto the RED trail; it became BLUE and then WHITE by the time I was done. I was more familiar with this part of the trail since I had hiked it last fall; it has a mixture of parts that are heavily rooted, rocky, narrow and curvy. The last 5.5-7 miles has a HUGE hill and then more open space. Sheesh...I thought the hill would never end..AND I WALKED IT. Sorry, but i just could not muster much in 90% humid conditions. I constantly had to get over being bummed out that I was not able to go faster, but it was what it was. I did the best I could under the conditions.

No comments: