Tuesday, October 30, 2007

ASICS

What a company!!

In 1998, as I was just beginning to take this running thing seriously, I found out about the PEACHTREE ROAD RACE. I got a prized number even though I lived in CALIFORNIA at the time. On a whim, I mailed a letter to ASICS, explaining a little about me and my drive for running and that i was ABOUT TO RUN IN THE LARGEST 10K IN THE COUNTRY.
They wrote me back and said all I had to do was call a phone number with my name and shoe size and i'd get a free pair of shoes.

WAY COOL!!!!!!!

Fast forward to 2005 and I am training for the SF MARATHON and running in honor of my mom and raising money. Again, i mailed ASICS another in depth letter asking for any kind of donation. They sent me a very nice letter back along with a gift certificate for NEW SHOES AND NEW SHORTS at any place that sold their products!!

Double fast forward to current time: I mailed them a letter a month or so ago and explained that 2 times in the past they have been gracious enough to support me and how I'd be so honored if they would again as I attempt my FIRST ULTRAMARATHON -- THE JFK 50 MILER

I got home today, not feeling all that great physically, and went to my mailbox thinking I could hear back from them at any time. AND THERE IT WAS...a SIMPLE ENVELOPE AND NOTE from my contact at ASICS: I HAVE A GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR A NEW PAIR OF SHOES. I have to redeem it by sending it back to the company.

IS THIS GREAT OR WHAT?? I will have you know that in my closest and other floor space, i have 13 pairs of ASICS. 2 of which were given to me by the company and the rest, I have purchased.

I am grateful and PSYCHED. They have come though once again. AMAZING.

Sometime, you just have to tell your story...and ask!

4 comments:

JustRun said...

Wow, that is an excellent idea. I mean, other than free shoes, what a cool thing in general. We may need to talk. :)

Laura said...

That's awesome that they helped you like that. I'm running the Phoenix Marathon in January to raise funds for the Leukemia/Lymphoma society. Maybe I'll send them a letter and see if they can donate to the cause!!
Thanks so much for sharing that story!

Scott McMurtrey said...

very cool.

i bet if i sent a letter like that the response would be "hmmm, maybe you should try knitting..."

:)

afuntanilla said...

you all shoud give it a shot. you never know....