Thursday, October 18, 2007

So often I have tried to write about what running means to me. And I have felt my words cannot quite capture what it is that I FEEL inside. So often when people ask me why I run, I try to give an answer...and many times I feel i was not accurate in my answer..that i have somehow fallen short.

I guess it was about in 2000 when i started reading George Sheehan's writings. He was a runner, doctor, writer, philsopher, etc..
His books, namely, PERSONAL BEST, became and remains my "bible." He was able to so very eloquently put into words what I struggle to do and I am so grateful.

Here is a short except on his words on "a runners high":

"my days run becomes my retreat..my mind is free to disassociate, to wander on its own. One some days, this brings on another type of high - a creative one. My mind is a cascade of thoughts. The sights and sounds, the touches and tastes, the pains and pleasures of my entire life become available to me. I am able to read a journal i never knew i'd kept."


--------------------------------

Treated my body to a much needed massage tonite. We are body, mind and spirit.

Balance.

No comments: