Saturday, October 13, 2007

"When people ask me why I run, I tell them, there's not really a reason, it's just the adrenalin when you start, and the feeling when you cross that finish line, and know that you are a winner no matter what place you got."
-Courtney Parsons

Time: 1:31
Distance: 9.35 miles

9:33, 10:10, 10:06, 9:24, 9:36, 9:45, 10:34, 9:33, 9:39

When I woke this morning, the darkness still existed. I pulled out my journal to write something down and caught a few words from last weekends entry, "I only ran 16 today..." and I thought to myself, wow, I rememeber when I FIRST ran 10 miles back in 1998. During those days, I had never run past 6-7 miles at any one time. I made a goal to run 10 miles for a Kinesiology class I was taking in college. I'll tell you, I was soooo excited when I finished that run....the furthest I had ever run. It was awesome. And now, years later, I am going for 50. Wow. Hell, I remember when I ran 3 miles as part of my plan to stay in shape for soccer. i thought 3 was a lot. and it was. for me. back then. We are all at different stages, aren't we? And everyone's stage is special. Whether you are a 5 minute miler, someone just trying to finish a 5k or someone going for 100 miles. It's all special because we all have the ability and privelege to look back in time and see how far we have come. 1 mile is a big deal. Shaving 10 seconds off a PR is a big deal. Running a 10k under 50 minutes is a big deal.
Hopefully we can all give ourselves credit and kudos for our achivements, our "milestones."

Cheers.
Have Fun >> Train hard >> Train Smart

2 comments:

Scott McMurtrey said...

you're getting me overexcited about JFK. i don't think i can wait.

afuntanilla said...

scott -- that's a good thing...